Khua Seen (Protein Stir Fry)
About this Recipe
Khua seen is a protein stir fry made with tomatoes and broccoli. The flavors of the tomatoes mixed with the sauce, onions, and garlic make this a super yummy comfort dish. Like most Lao dishes, this is best served with sticky rice or steamed rice.
Recipe by: Sharon Daraphonhdeth
Photos by: Kylie Hope
- Half of a head of broccoli, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced in half moons
- 5–6 garlic cloves, minced
- 9–11 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 can or package of seitan or vegan “beef,” sliced in thin pieces
- 1–2 green onions, sliced in 1-inch chunks
- 2–4 tablespoons vegan oyster sauce
- 2–3 teaspoons soy sauce or soup seasoning sauce or liquid aminos
- 1–2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Dash of black pepper
- Chili flakes (optional)
Heat the oil in a medium–large pan on medium heat.
Once hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté until slightly browned, about 4-6 minutes.
Add seitan or vegan “beef” to the pan and mix thoroughly until protein is browned.
Add tomatoes to the pan. Cook until tomatoes are no longer whole and juices are spilling out. Add a splash of water to create a sauce and to help unstick the veggies and protein.
Add vegan oyster sauce and soy sauce and mix. Cook for another 3–5 minutes. Add more water if you would like it to be more saucy.
Add broccoli to the pan and mix. Cook until broccoli is green and slightly soft (about 4–6 minutes).
Season with black pepper and chili flakes. Serve with rice.